It doesn’t matter if you’re trying to clean your office at work or your home office, a clean environment is not only healthy but a comfortable space to live and work in. We will discuss tips and guidelines to help you thoroughly clean your office and organize it according to the experts at Evergreen Commercial Cleaning Services.
Most offices become ridden with bacteria and germs over time, so properly disinfecting and cleaning your desk will help significantly. Be sure to implement the tips described below so that you can make your office a lot cleaner, stay healthy, and avoid illness.
You’ll likely spend a great deal of time in your office and you’ll quickly realize that you use your office for more things than just working. You likely eat, drink, cough, sneeze and even spill things every day. Due to this, your office will become quite filled with germs, bacteria and other microbes. In addition to these germs you’ll also have clutter from your every day life that will also need to be sanitized and well organized.
Dust: You’ll need to dust regularly using a microfiber cloth that is slightly damp. Be sure to move all items from your desk such as folders, papers and other objects. Then, wipe the desk using the microfiber cloth and make sure that you also wipe areas such as on top of your monitor, the fan blades, photo frames, at the back of the desk etc.
Vacuum: When vacuuming your office, you should start from the top and work down. It is best to use the different attachments such as the narrow brush, carpet attachment, upholstery brush etc. Make sure that you completely vacuum your entire office and make sure that you properly vacuum areas with lots of dust as well as the places where you just dusted.
Disinfect: While you’re working or sitting at your office desk, you’ll often touch a lot of things causing lots of microorganisms and bacteria to grow. This is especially true on your keyword, mouse, laptop, phone etc. So, take the time to thoroughly disinfect all of these surfaces.
Don’t forget to set an aromatherapy diffuser in each room of the home or office. A large central room will also work well.
Consistency: You also need to clean on a consistent basis, so be sure to add a weekly or bi-weekly reminder to your phone’s calendar. When you have a routine, cleaning will become a lot easier. You should also have disinfectant wipes on your desk so you can wipe down your desk and most frequently used items daily or in between your scheduled cleaning days.
Always get rid of clutter on your desk and properly organize it. This will help you to better organize your thoughts and help you to keep calm throughout your work day. It will also help to increase your productivity and lower stress.
Get rid of any clutter that shouldn’t be there. You can keep a couple of important photos, plants etc.
Next, your desk should have two main areas or zones. The first zone should be where you work on your computer and the other zone is for work that isn’t computer related.
Each office desk will require an area to store items that don’t have a specific area for storage. This can be a junk drawer where you place all of these items instead of having them strewn around your office randomly.
Zip ties are great to help organize electrical cords so that they don’t get jumbled.
You should also have a bin next to your desk so that you can easily get rid of you trash or unwanted papers.
Document trays that stack are great to use for organizing different documents. You can use one stack for documents that have to be filed, another stack of documents that need to be filled out and signed as well as another stack for your mail.
Use vertical space. If you run out of space in your desk’s drawers, be sure to use the vertical space on your walls by adding hanging shelves, whiteboards etc.
Keyboard Cleaning Guidelines
It is easy for keyboards to get lots of food crumbs, dirt and dust in between their crevices. Even if you have a laptop, the keyboard can still get quite dirty and you should always clean it before shutting it down. We will now look at how you can clean your keyboard.
- Remove the trapped crumbs and other debris by shaking them out. Be sure to do this over a bin or outside the office.
- Compressed air can also be used to get rid of trapped debris between the keys. If you don’t have compressed air available, you can use a sticky note where you use the sticky part and run it along cracks so that the debris sticks to it.
- Dip clean cotton swabs in alcohol and then wipe the keyboard.
- Spray a clean cloth with disinfectant and then wipe the entire keyboard.
Computer Monitor Cleaning
Next, you’ll also need to clean your computer monitor so that you’ll have a wonderfully clean monitor to work on. If you use a laptop, be sure to shut it down before cleaning both the keyboard and screen.
- Take off the computer and disconnect the computer’s monitor. Thoroughly wipe the entire monitor using a microfiber cloth that is slightly damp.
- Utilize a vacuum that has an upholstery attachment to get rid of the dust in between the monitor’s vents.
- Lastly, get rid of any remnants of dust or debris by using compressed air.
Office Chair Cleaning
Your office chair definitely gets a lot of use every day, so make sure to thoroughly clean it.
- Locate the upholstery tag on the chair and read the directions on how to clean it.
- Get a vacuum with the upholstery brush attachment and vacuum the entire chair to get rid of dust.
- Spray a clean microfiber cloth with cleaning spray and then wipe down the handles, legs and other hard surfaces.
- Once the fabric parts of the chair are water safe, you can use a mixture of soap and water to clean the chair. In particular, focus on any spots or stains. It is best to only do this on plastic or mesh type office chairs.
- If the chair isn’t water safe, you should get an empty spay bottle and fill it with rubbing alcohol. Then, add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. Then, spray the chair and this will help to get rid of any stains.
- If the chair is made from leather, then you can create a mixture of warm water and a couple of drops of dish soap and wipe down the chair. Be careful not to use too much solution. Once you’ve dried the chair, use a leather conditioner on the chair.
- Use a silicone spray or lithium grease in order to lubricate the wheels and other moving parts.
You will definitely enjoy having a clean office since it will increase productivity as well as reduce distraction. Spend some time seeking out reputable office cleaners in the Toronto area as suggested above but also your entire home.